Sunday, August 8, 2010

Phil's party for the pedantic-or why I will never teach in a university

Ok Folks here is elegant proof of small mindedness.   I was browsing the classical lounge where I keep my other blog and found this reply to a forum post I made which was added over a year later.  The point was to upbraid me on my spelling and my Ph. D. 

Here is my point; as much as I  may speak about sonic prejudice  evidently that is nothing compared to the ivory tower's text based, or educational, prejudice.  My original post was created to help a young woman find a job in k-12 education. A serious question and something I know about. Yet that was overlooked for the more venial joys of showing off her supposed writing skills. Oddly they are not much better than mine  (among other things she missed the spelling error of license).  Lastly, one reason one does not criticize others posts for grammar and spelling is that technical issues can occur that interfere with the text format- the rules for on line are different. Of course there might be some other motivation for this.
 Sigh.

[Well I just got confirmation that Norma hates recent music so much that she refuses to teach it.  So her school assigns another teacher to team teach those classes]. 

My original post her reply and my e-mail to her today.. 

PhilFried.com



On:
Mar 12, 2009 7:05 PM CDT

Your in NY  I think? I haven't worked there in some time, at that time it was not to hard to get a licence --it was hard to find a position -of course its centralized now so it might be different.   Right now saint Paul public schools  is planing to cut instrumental music by 20 positions the entire elementary staff!  http://keepimtinsaintpaul.blogspot.com/
anyway good luck--check for job availability before you start.

Dr. Phil

PhilFried.com

On: May 7, 2010 12:53 PM CDT
On: Mar 12, 2009 7:05 PM CDT

Your YOU'RE in NY I think? I haven't worked there in some time; at that time it was not to TOO hard to get a licence --it was hard to find a position -of course its IT'S centralized now so it might be different. Right now saint Paul public schools is planing PLANNING to cut instrumental music by 20 positions - the entire elementary staff! http://keepimtinsaintpaul.blogspot.com/

anyway good luck--check for job availability before you start.



Dr. Phil (REALLY? A DOCTORATE AND YOU CANNOT WRITE SIMPLE ENGLISH?)



On: Aug 8, 2010 2:50 PM CDT

Gee Norma
I just noticed your comments on Morgan's topic. Why yes I do have a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago.


Besides your timely reply two thing; I'm LD dis-graphic and also -I guess you don't know -its considered bad manners to correct spelling for an on line posting.
Evidently you understood my comments. Writing and spelling happen to be very different issues. Besides that using all caps is considered yelling and as I remember that's not very good English either..
Your comments were off topic and rude.
I was just wondering how your spelling corrections so many months late were going to help Morgan find a job.

Have a nice day.

Dr. Phil Fried
Philfried.com

No comments:

Post a Comment